Climbing Wall Instructor
The Climbing Wall Instructor (CWI) is a qualification for those who wish to supervise groups at climbing walls in the UK. The award consists of a training and assessment course which covers the essential skills to deliver safe, effective and enjoyable climbing sessions as well as an introduction to the coaching of climbing at a fundamental level. All Peak Mountain Training Courses also incorporate the Abseiling module allowing candidates to run abseiling sessions in addition to the core climbing activities.
This course is ideal for climbers who work with groups or individuals in the wall environment e.g. schools, outdoor centres, youth workers or those in the voluntary sector.
The Climbing Wall Instructor consists of a separate Training and Assessment course along with a consolidation period during which the candidate can develop their own skills by personal practice.
The training course consists of two days training (and one evening) covering both personal and group climbing skills as per the Climbing Wall Instructor Syllabus. This occurs at two separate climbing wall sites. Following this the trainers will give constructive feedback allowing candidates to plan for the consolidation period and Assessment as appropriate. It should be noted that the completion of the training course alone is not qualification in itself.
Prior Experience for Training
Candidates should be registered for the CWI scheme with Mountain Training. For details on how to register, please visit [here]
In addition you should:
- Be over the age of 17 (note the age of 18 for assessment)
- Have a genuine interest in climbing and the supervision of groups on climbing walls
- Have at least 6 months experience of using a variety of climbing walls, having been to three different walls on 15 occasions
- Have led routes on an indoor wall
- Be an individual or club member (of an affiliated club) of a Mountaineering Council
The Climbing Wall Instructor assessment course covers the whole syllabus over the period of one day and evening.
Prior Experience for Assessment:
- Attend a training course or apply for exemption
- Hold a valid First Aid Certificate
See the CWI movie